Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What's Cooking Wednesday: Spinach with Lemon

 For those of you who are dear blog followers, the very few that I have, welcome to PassagetoItaly at BlogSpot! You can still find the same posts here, as you would on WordPress. This site will be much more user friendly, to not only me, but to you. Unlike with WordPress, you can also get up-to-date information on posts written by fellow Italy bloggers that I follow. Go ahead, check it out! I'm also creating an 'Archives' to also help you search for a particular post. It's still under construction, but be patient. Everything will soon be set up. I'm also planning to set up more post for those of you interested in dual citizenship. This newly featured posting series will be called "Citizenship Saturday". (Although I'm thinking the title's a bit corny, so that may change.)


If you have any suggestions for the new blog, or are interested in something that I haven't yet posted about, or would like more posted on a certain subject that I have posted about, feel free to drop me a line. You can either post comments in the comment section, or e-mail me at: PassagetoItaly@gmail.com.




*****

 As a child, I absolutely hated spinach. I can even recall the actual day that I first tried it. My sister had made a pretty large bowl of it, and was sitting on the coach eating it. Now that I think about it, it was kind of odd that she was even eating it. I don't remember how it was seasoned, or how she had made it. Upon trying it, my face showed signs of "eww, how gross!". Now that I'm older, and my taste buds have opened up, I've come to enjoy this vegetable. It's jam packed with essential vitamins and minerals.


As per the last What's Cooking Wednesday post, grilled stuffed chicken breast, I promised to share the recipe with you for its contorno, side dish, spinaci all'agro. It's very simple, and very quick in comparison to the secondi.  You can find this recipe on La Cucina Italiana Magazine's website, or read the recipe below.


Please stay tuned for next week's recipe which will be based on the dishes my family will be cooking for Easter! Yum! Here's a hint: l'agnello. Do you know what it is?
\



*****

Spinaci all'agro

Spinach with Lemon

Ingredients


15 ounces baby spinach (12 cups packed)
1 lemon
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper


Instructions


Wash and drain spinach (do not spin-dry), leaving moisture on leaves for cooking.
Using a sharp vegetable peeler or paring knife, cut 2 long strips zest (about 1 inch wide) from lemon, avoiding white pith. Cut away any remaining pith from zest with a sharp paring knife. Cut zest into thin strips. Cut lemon into 4 wedges.

Heat oil in a Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium heat. Add spinach (in batches, if necessary) and pinch salt; stir, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted and tender, about 4 minutes. Season with salt to taste.

Transfer spinach to a large serving dish. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over spinach to taste. Sprinkle with zest and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment