Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

Poetry: La Vita del Villaggio

The title translates as, "The Life of the Village". In one of my advanced Italian classes, we were required to write a poem. Being the Italophile that I am, mine was written about Italy. The translation is provided under the poem, which is originally written in Italian.

Enjoy!


La luce inizia ad illuminare
la sommitĂ  della montagna,
scendendo piano, piano sulle pianure.
I girasoli si svegliano,
creando un mare d'oro.

Gli insetti si rimpinzano

sul nettare delizioso,

cremoso.

Si può sentire le voci,

i venditori gridano per strada,

e si ricorda che un altro giorno

ha iniziato 

e il silenzio della mattina

ha sparito.


Translation:

The light begins to illuminate,

the summit of the mountain,

descending slowly, slowly onto the plains.

The sunflowers wake up,

creating a sea of gold.

The insects fill themselves

on the nectar,

delicious, creamy.

One can hear voices,

the sellers yell in the streets,

and one remembers that another day

has begun,

and the silence of the morning

has vanished.



Have you written any poetry about Italy? Care to share? If so, either leave a message in the comment section of this post, or e-mail me at: PassagetoItaly@gmail.com


Buona giornata!

3 comments:

  1. Ciao! Im your newest follower...just found your blog and I love it! I too am in love with all things Italian so I look forward to reading more of your posts!
    -Vanessa from Optimal Optimist
    http://optimaloptimist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both lakeviewer, and Optimal Optimist. Thank you also, Vanessa, for folloing my blog! I'll be sure to check out your sites as well. Sorry it took me a while to respond.

    Hope you're both having a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete