Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Appointment at the Consulate

As usual, I did not take any photos of my whereabouts, but I have more insight about the whole process of applying for dual citizenship. My father and I hopped on a train to get to the consulate in Newark. Taking the train was a breeze, and we did not have to worry about traffic or parking. For those traveling to the consulate in Newark, the best way to get there is by train. Newark Penn Station, not to be confused with NEW YORK Penn Station (which is two stops after on that line), is right across the street from the consulate. The address is: 1 Gateway Center.

Upon arriving, my father and I checked in at the lobby to receive visitor passes. The Italian consulate is not the only office in the building. Take the elevator to the first floor, and you've arrived! When I arrived at the consulate, I stated to the woman at the front desk that I had an appointment at 10am, but since the gentleman I was supposed to talk to was busy with another person prior to my appointment, we were told to wait. After a little over a half hour, more people began to arrive. Another individual had arrived to see the same gentleman I was meeting with. Somehow, I was forgotten about, and the person who arrived after me, went in ahead of me. I told my father, "I think we were forgotten about. That guy went in before me. So I got up and started pacing. Finally the lady I had spoken to at the front desk saw me, and she apologized profusely, and that I would be next. Ok, so I kept my cool. It was better for me to do that instead of complaining. After all, they were handling my papers and could very well give me a hard time, if they so chose.

Finally it was my turn. We went into the office and I presented my documents. When submitting translations to the consulate, your translator should have provided a sheet that states that, however many documents, were translated from English into Italian by the translator. The paper is then signed and notarized by a notary. This notary is not to be confused with the notaries made on my translations. The person I met with was a notary of the consulate. He must look over each translation carefully, compare it to the originals to make sure everything is correct and translated properly. After reading through the translation, it is stamped and says,

" (nome del consulato) si dichiara che la presente composta di n.___(quanti fogli per la traduzione del documento) fogli, e' traduzione conforme all'originale redatto in lingua inglese"

Roughly translated, "(name of consulate) declares that said form composted of (number of pages, how many pages of translation for 1 document) pages, is a translation of the original document in the English language."

A date is then stamped on it. It is then given another stamp that say "il console", name of the official signing the document, and then the signature of the official. A sticker that states my full name plus the cost is then included.

For each document this was done. The notary was very helpful, but he did not know what needed to be notarized and neither did I since the comune had never responded to my e-mail. Thus, I decided just to have the Italian side of the family notarized as the papers cost me, yet again, more money. What keeps me from complaining about costs is that it still does not amount to the cost of American citizenship, which I've heard costs around $10,000. This helps me feel a little better, but I can't help the cha-ching that echoes in my head. The prices per document vary at the consulate in Newark. Some documents cost $8 to be notarized, others $10, and others like, notices to funeral directors, cost $16. Now that I think about it, I wonder if that even needed to be stamped. But that's what NYC sent me, along with the death certificate, when I requested the document.

No comments:

Post a Comment