Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Not So Smooth Sailing

I have been quite anxious about finishing my citizenship process. Somehow that has been re-instilled in me. Back when I first began acquiring the documents, I was so excited. At some point, I became a bit disinterested after my appointment, and with the amount of money being poured into it, I altogether stopped everything.

Luckily, I have a fantastic translator who works closely with the consulate, and know the basic rules surrounding jure sanguinis. She was able to tell me that rules had changed, everything was being processed much quicker. My remaining documents to be translated were all scanned over to her, and are currently being translated. She was a bit alarmed by the amount of scans included in my e-mail. Howeverm I re-assured her that it was not as overwhelming as she thought. Instead of 18 pages, there was actually half that amount. The marriage certificates from NYC were much longer than all the other documents, and did not quite fit on my scanner. I had to create two scans for each page, just to show all the information.

In addition, my second request for my great grandfather's death certificate was again rejected. The letter I received asked that a notarized affidavit be sent in with copies of the required documents for the dual citizenship process. This would mean its not entirely unobtainable. During my appointment in Newark in 2011, they asked that I request this document again, and if the state still decided not to issue, to send paperwork stating so. In my preparation for sending out these requirements to NY State, I went to the consulate website to print out their requirements. Previously, the website showed that birth, marriage and death certificates were required. However, now the website does not even mention death certificates.

I quickly emailed my translator to see if there was someone I could contact in regard to this. If they no longer require it, that would mean I'm actually done and have everything! Once the translations are completed I can finally apply!

No comments:

Post a Comment